Music. Inspiration. In an epic celebration.
Catch the 2017 Grammy’s last night?
We think of music’s biggest night as a ceremony that celebrates legends—legendary artists, legendary singers, songwriters, composers, producers and engineers, but when you get right down to it, they are all creative doing the same thing every creative does every day—sweating it out for their music.
So here’s 5 lessons creative can learn from music’s biggest night.
- Find your niche. Figure out who your audience is. Then figure out how to target them. What do they like? Give them what they want to hear.
- Release your creative tension. Music is tension and release. Creativity is tension and release. Everyone and their dog is online in this digital age. And it’s information overload. Creating lets us take in the energy from the world around us and releasing that energy as it builds up inside us.
- Take something that exists and put your own unique spin on it. Dolly Parton’s collaboration with Pentatonix on her hit “Jolene” is one example. Or take a word and make an epic message. Anthems are a great way to do that. Sometimes you got to sing it loud and sing it proud. Demi Lovato’s “Confident”, anyone?
- Never stop creating. We create because we’ve got something to say—because we want, because we feel this need to say something, to make a statement. If you’re a creative of any type – writer, songwriter, musician, artist—it isn’t enough for you to sit back and listen and witness everyone else show their creative work.
My creative itch drives me crazy during these beautiful shows. And the Grammys are always inspirational. They celebrate every genre under the sun. And then some, with crossover.
While the Grammys celebrates commercial success, through its various categories, the Grammys also celebrates diversity. The final creative lesson from this?
- Be you. There’s room for all of it. Digital media gives us so much access to information—there’s more content available online than we’ve got time to explore that content. But there’s all sorts of content out there for everyone to enjoy, regardless of the creative medium.
The takeaway from the 2017 Grammys?
Let all of the nominees inspire you to keep creating.
Let all of the nominees inspire you to create something new.
Let all of the nominees inspire you to create and share your creation with the world.