When you got that beat on repeat.
I’ve been listening to albums on repeat these days – usually, I’ll play singles on repeat.
It’s a great way to learn about variety on an album – each track features something different – guitar or brass, or percussion for example.
It’s also a great way to learn new music faster – like studying – repeating the same information within a shorter time frame helps you memorize material faster than if you only listen to the album once a week or month.
Anyway, I had forgotten how much of an impact music can have on your mood.
Music makes us feel good. And there’s so much variety – something for every mood – which can help us in our day-to-day lives and our creative lives.
So, creatives, here’s seven genres of music to help your creativity.
- Anthems. Own it. Like a boss. Rock chords. Guitars. Big sounds. You get the chorus stuck in your head. Demi Lovato’s Confident, Katy Perry’s Roar, Kelly Clarkson’s Stronger. Gets you in a positive and stronger mindset.
- Ballads – gotta love all the heart-wrenching feels. Lady Gaga’s Angel Down is my latest ballad addiction.
- Instrumentals – no distractions from lyrics. Found some harp music on Google Play a while ago.
- Orchestral music. While orchestral music encompasses classical music, there’s also classical crossover, which includes covers of contemporary music. Nothing is cleaner than an orchestra. Orchestras feature so much – strings, flutes, brass, horns, bass….let’s not forget kettle drums.
- A capella. Pentatonix, anyone? When you hear bunch of singers together covering well-loved numbers – or originals – it will amaze you how much the human voice can do – the different effects a voice can create compared with an instrument as well as how much like an instrument the voice can sound.
- Dance – nothing brings you up when you’re down more than a fast-paced, simple, feel-good vibe. Rhianna’s We Found Love. Walk the Moon’s Shut Up and Dance. Repetitive? Yes. Addicting? Yes. Fun? Yes.
- Hip-hop – rhythmic flow – when you got a loop on repeat, it’s addicting. Hamilton the Musical is my latest infatuation with hip-hop. Although I prefer melodies over spoken word, I love the flow of hip-hop.
GooglePlay is a fantastic resource to feed your new-music craving – so much music available.
So explore something you’ve been wanting to check out – and let the music charge your creative flow.